Planning….what can I say? If you don’t plan, nothing happens right. If you don’t follow through on your plan, nothing happens.
Keep in mind these simple guidelines.
- Determine where you want to go. What is your vision? Why is it important?
- Decide who you want to take with you. Remember, you can’t achieve success alone. Which individuals or teams are important to your success? How is it best to involve them?
- Choose how you can best get there. How do you redirect the organization through communication and actions? How do you send the most impactful and clear message?
- Anticipate obstacles. What could go wrong? How can you best recognize and respond to things that go wrong?
- Agree upon the initiatives that will help you achieve great results. Be as specific as possible. Don’t use vague language or timeframes. What are the first priorities? Who are the champions and the implementers? What skills need to be honed during the journey? Are there ways to test changes you want to make, e.g. in one location or one department before you expand to the entire organization?
- Check in throughout the process. How are you doing? Who needs to be recognized and who needs to be redirected?
- Document and celebrate your results. What is the best way to complete the communication loop? How can you best celebrate milestones?
- Repeat. What is the right amount of time that needs to be allowed before you start over again? What changes do you need to make in the process?
Sounds simple enough but it requires creativity and diligence. Don’t drop the ball. Ask key players to help you stay on track. Planning and implementation go hand in hand. Make it happen together!
“Productivity is always the result of a commitment to excellence, intelligent planning, and focused effort.” – Paul J. Meyer
“Planning is bringing the future into the present so that you can do something about it now.” – Alan Lakein